Note: I would like to share with you through these few words, photographs and hyperlinked websites, a 3 Dimensional experience as though you were actually there with us. Click on any photograph and it should enlarge to different size ….. at least half screen or size full screen. It will be clearer in detail than the photo on the post. It will be as if you were really there looking at the actual scene. You are an arm chair traveller with us.
Yes, it’s an entire 13 story building in China lying on the ground.
(1) An underground garage was being dug on the south side of the building, to a depth of 4.6 meters (15 ft).
(2) The excavated dirt was being piled up on the north side of the building, to a height of 10 meters (32 ft).
(3) They dug right up to the base of the building. Then the rains came.
(4) The building experienced uneven lateral pressure from north to south.
(5) This resulted in a lateral pressure of 3,000 tons, which was greater than what the un-reinforced pilings
Could tolerate. Thus, the building toppled completely over in a southerly direction.
First, the apartment building was constructed.
Then the plan called for an underground garage to be dug out.
The excavated soil was piled up on the other side of the building.
Heavy rains resulted in water seeping into the ground.
The building began to tilt. Then it began to shift, and the
“hollow” concrete pilings were snapped due to the uneven
And thus was born the eighth wonder of the world.
If these buildings were closer together, it would have resulted in a domino effect.
Notice that there’s NO rebar in the pilings! Just some wire mesh …
They built 13 stories on grade, with no basement, and tied it all down to hollow pilings with no rebar …
Made in China